Thursday, January 31, 2013

Butternut Squash Soup Two Ways


I know I've mentioned it before, but my parents seriously have a boatload of butternut squash. It seems to take over their vegetable garden every summer and now that I live closer to them, I get to take advantage of the fruits of their labor. Like in this dinner from last week. This past weekend, I roasted three small squash my dad brought to me and made two different soups: a traditional, creamy squash soup and a squash-tomato bisque. 





They both started with a similar base of roasted squash (bake 40 min at 350), chicken stock, cream, and purred garlic, onions, carrots and celery (gotta love food processors!). I added salt, pepper, roasted red pepper flakes and cayenne. I also like things a little salty, so I also added some bouillon. I think its a necessity in every soup, even if you use chicken stock. 

For the tomato bisque, I took the above ingredients and added two cans of diced tomato, a little more cream, italian seasonings like basil and oregano, and about a 1/3 of a jar of pizza sauce leftover from the weekend. Puree in the food processor, and that's it! Two different soups that are super-easy to make. 

Now, don't ask me the amounts I used of each. Y'all know I don't cook that way. I simply add amounts, seasonings and spices as needed. If you need more of a recipe, Martha has what looks like a good one here. Not sure how I feel about the OJ though. Might make it too sweet. 

The only problem, was the number of dishes I used. Eeeek! 


No comments: