Friday, June 17, 2011

Happy Father's Day, Dad!

I've never really considered myself a "daddy's girl". Don't get me wrong, I adore my relationship with my father, but never once has he babied me, or treated me like a little princess, (even though I'm sure it was hard for him not to favor me above my three terrors brothers). He didn't let me get my way by whining and begging, and for that I am eternally grateful. He taught me to be a strong, independent person that didn't depend on anyone, not even him. I've always thought of him more as a friend, than a father. We run and go on bike rides, watch football and drink beers, and enjoy the outdoors, but honestly my favorite thing to do is just to talk with him. He has to be one of the most intelligent people I know, and he seems to have answers for all of my questions, even the ones I don't ask. He has a dry, slightly inappropriate sense of humor that comes out when you least expect it and he can make me laugh harder than anyone else I know.

My dad also happens to be a wonderful person and the very definition of integrity. I often find myself pondering what he would do in difficult situations, knowing that his wisdom and experience will guide me in the right direction. He is sincere and honest and kind to just about everyone he meets...not counting his patients undergoing a root canal. They might say otherwise.

I should probably also mention that he's pretty much a badass. He's completed more marathons, triathlons, and cycling races than I could even dream of doing in my lifetime and is in better shape than most people half his age. I know thats one of the things that keeps him so young.
Hiking around Devil's Tower

Dad and Sev after bowling one night. Pretty much sums up his sense of humor, and no, this is not his typical attire...

He cleans up nice too!
Thank you dad for being such an awesome person and father. Thank you for teaching me that hard work truly does pay off. Thanks for instilling in my every ounce of common sense I have in my head. Thanks for your patience, particularly that one afternoon when you taught me how to drive a stick shift. Thanks for singing me back to sleep when I was a screaming, horrible baby that wouldn't sleep through the night. (I don't remember that, but mom tells me it happened. Often. ) Thanks for being a role model and for setting the bar high (very high) for my future spouse.  Thanks for loving mom and being the rock of the family. Thanks for introducing me to cycling, running, theatre, good beer, and all types of crazy music I would have never thought to listen to without your input. Speaking of beer, thanks for always letting the 18 year old me have one after long bike rides (I guess mom knows now...).  Thanks always doing the right thing. Thanks for teaching me how to make some mean mashed potatoes. Thanks for your generosity. But most importantly, thanks for always being there for me. It means more to me than you know.

I feel so blessed to have two of the most amazing people in the world as my parents. I love you guys more than words, or this post could ever tell you! Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

Maurenice @Villa Bisono said...

Awww, what a cute post about your daddy! I just found your blog and you have very nice postings! Come back to blogging soon, as I am now following you. Hope whenever you get a chance you can check mine out!

xoxo

www.villa-bisono.com